How do we make sure that every person in the world who wants to make a difference has an opportunity to do so?" - Ami Dar, Founder Idealist.org
Arguably THE best, most practical, and trusted source for jobs, internships, volunteer positions, etc for the non-profit sector. Unlike most non-profit websites, Idealist also has a very strong global presence, so opportunities are not restricted to a single country. In 2010 Idealist.org introduced their new and improved version of their website a brand new design and a slew of new features for connecting with people and organizations, saving searches, inviting people to events, and much more. It empowers people & organizations to move from their intentions to actions by connecting people, organizations, and resources in every possible way, while spreading good ideas as far and as quickly as possible. Also has unique local search function and an emphasis on face-to-face connection. Available in English, Spanish, French. Highly recommended! Some highlights from their site:
- Advanced Search Functions: Browse through thousands of jobs, internships, volunteer positions, organizations, resources etc.
- Graduate Degree Fairs: Graduate school fairs to connect prospective students in fields such as public administration, international affairs, education, public policy, public interest law, social work, nonprofit management, global and public health, theology, environmental science, and socially responsible business. Free and open to the public!
- iTunes Podcasts: This podcast tells stories of individuals and groups changing their communities in innovative ways to inspire you to do the same as well as interviews with nonprofit professionals about developing your career in the public good.
- Volunteer Resource Center: Offers advice and leads for people interested in volunteering, whether in their own communities or in far-off places.
- International Volunterism Resource Center: Provides advice and tips for anyone interested in volunteering abroad, whether on their own or through a volunteer-sending organization.
- Resources for Nonprofit Organizations: Delves into all sorts of specific issues in the nonprofit sector, from building a board to obtaining tax-exemption to using the right technology in your organization.
- Nonprofit Career Center: Provides guidance to people starting or changing careers, with advice on everything from resume-writing to sector-switching.
- Graduate School Resource Center:Contains a wealth of advice and tools for people considering graduate school and its connection to their future social change careers.
Books and Publications
- The Idealist.org Handbook to Building a Better World
- The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for Sector Switchers
- The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for First-time Job Seekers
- Service Corps to Social Impact Career – A Companion to The Idealist Guides to Nonprofit Careers
- Making a Difference: A Guide to Personal Profit in a Nonprofit World